Please read the following information to help you decide whether to apply to the Post-Graduate Training Program.
Who Should Apply?
- Post-master's professionals in mental health who are obtaining hours toward licensure as social workers, marriage-family therapists, and psychologists
- Licensed mental health professionals who want to expand their knowledge of open-ended, psychodynamic psychotherapy.
By the starting date of the program you must have:
- Completed a two-year or longer graduate program and received a master's or doctoral degree in a mental health field.
- Preference is given to applicants who have completed a minimum of 18 months (two full academic years) of relevant clinical experience, including 375 face-to-face clinical hours; for example, by doing psychotherapy, counseling, specialized treatment, crisis intervention, or case work. Preference is given to applicants who have acquired this experience post-degree and within the past five years.
You must be willing to commit 25 hours weekly to the program, including blocks of time for seeing clients—such as a morning, afternoon, or evening—on at least three days a week.
We’ve found that applicants best suited to the program are self-reflective and value self-awareness for psychotherapy practitioners. Most have undertaken their own psychotherapy. Personal therapy during the training program is highly recommended.
How Do I Apply?
This packet contains a detailed description of the application process and required materials. We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until all eight positions are filled. The program begins September 2020.
Use one of these two ways to obtain an application packet:
- Download and print the application packet. Complete all the requested application materials and mail them with your check for the application fee to The Psychotherapy Institute. To pay for your application fee online click here.
- Email or telephone The Psychotherapy Institute to request a printed application packet. Be sure that your message includes your name and mailing address.
The Psychotherapy Institute
2232 Carleton Street
Berkeley, CA 94704 (USA)
Each year, the Institute accepts approximately eight staff therapists. We schedule interviews for as many applicants as possible. Depending upon the number of applications we receive, we may not be able to offer a personal interview to all candidates meeting the minimum requirements. The Selection Committee makes all decisions about personal interviews and the selection of trainees; its decisions are final.
All written materials that you submit as part or in support of your application become the property of the Institute. If you are not selected, we’ll destroy all application materials.
Prospective staff therapists for the 2020-21 academic year are eligible to apply for financial awards. Please see the link below for instructions and procedures for the application process. Applications are due June 1, 2020.
Submit your completed financial aid application via email to email@example.com, or via snail mail to:
The Psychotherapy Institute
ATTN: K. Sue Duncan (Financial Aid Program)
2232 Carleton St.
Berkeley, CA 94704